Keep coming back - these will be updated as more questions arise.
1. My fair is too close to (or after) the contest deadline. How do I participate?
The IAFE encourages you to enter the materials from this year's fair into next year's contest. That gives you a much longer period of time to perfect your entries before submitting!
2. Which entries are judging in Springfield, Missouri (thus, require a physical copy mailed to the Springfield office)?
Competitive Exhibits: All categories EXCEPT the photo categories (8A, 8B, 9A, 9B)
Hall of Honor Communications: All categories EXCEPT 1. Television; 2. Radio; 18. Website; 19. Mobile App
Agricultural Awards: none - they are all judged online; however, winning entries must be mailed to the IAFE office to be displayed at the IAFE Convention.
Innovation in Sponsorship: none- they are all judged online.
3. Why do I have to submit all entries online, even if they also require a physical copy?
All entries must be received digitally for sharing purposes. After contest entries are judged, most winning entries are placed on a complimentary USB andgiven to all fairs in attendance at the annual IAFE Convention and various other events. Additionally, some entries will be chosen to be uploaded in the IAFE online library.
4. Who judges the contest entries?
Judging takes place both online and in Springfield, Missouri by a panel of volunteers from both within and outside of the fair industry. Dates for the 2018 judging:
Online: October 3-12, 2018
Springfield, MO: October 16-17, 2018
Interested in becoming a judge? Contact Brittney McBride at the IAFE Office.
5. What are some of the most common errors?
- not submitting the correct size poster board. All boards must be 14"x22".
- submitting too many pages of supporting documentation. Each category will specify the maximum number of pages allowed.
6. When do I need to submit my website and mobile app?
These can be submitted at any time. Previously, they had to be submitted 30-days prior to your fair; however, this rule has been removed and you have the freedom to enter these whenever you desire. Judges are given 30-days after submission to score your entries.
7. How do I attach items to the board?
Ensure all items are securely attached to the board. Between shipping to us, processing, and transportation to the judging location, if items are not securely in place, portions of your entries may be lost.
These materials seem to work best: velcro, hot glue, adhesive strips, safety pins, zip ties (merchandise), packing tape
These materials do not seem to withhold as much: spray adhesive (unless it's a single sheet), glue sticks, Elmers glue, sheet protectors
- Please allow all glue to completely dry before shipping to the IAFE.
8. Best Marketing Campaign - board requirements:
There is no limit for the quantity of boards/materials submitted. Materials within the same category may be placed on the same boards, but please do not mix different forms of marketing materials. For example, you could mount five magazine advertisements on the same board, but please do not mount magazine advertisements and newspaper advertisements on the same board.
9. Does the poster board need to be vertical or horizontal?
It doesn't matter - you can submit your entries facing either direction.
10. Single Brochure/Flyer category vs. Promotional Material category
Single Brochure/Flyer: ONE single sheet of paper. It doesn't matter how many times that single sheet of paper is folded, or if it's double-sided.
Promotional Material: material that has MULTIPLE physical sheets of paper. It may be bound, or multiple pieces in a series.
11. What is "artwork copy"?
For categories such as the outdoor advertising, website advertising, etc. you are required to submit the artwork copy. This is just the artwork. The other version required, for example, is a picture of the actual billboard or a screenshot of your advertisement on the website. Both versions are required.
3043 E Cairo
Springfield, MO 65802